16 May Kick-ass Designer (Graphic & Beyond)
Posted at 14:38h in
SIX12 Creative is an established creative agency looking for a kick-ass Designer to join our small, quirky family. Generally speaking, we’re looking for a graphic designer, but realistically we need you to be more than that.
We’re a small team (pronounced: boutique agency), but we’ve been around for three decades and we’re fortunate to work with some big, recognizable brands. Get ready to create anything from corporate signage to outrageous online posts to animated Snapchat ads to food packaging to UI to vehicle wraps to…
You probably have some formal training, but you crave to learn and push boundaries almost as much as you crave coffee*. Your love of details, and organization makes you an efficient designer, but doesn’t cramp your creativity. You can easily take creative direction, or come up with your own concepts – and you have as much diversity as you do personal style. When you see a new design trend cross your path, you’re super excited to put it to use. (Literally so excited that you turn around and start showing it whoever is willing to listen.) You groan and maybe roll your eyes when clients ask you to “make it pop”, but then do your best to interpret the vagueness and make it happen.
Team fit is critical. We're a tight family with low turnover. If you want to be part of a big corporate agency, we're not a good fit for you. Less than half of our projects are on the "cookie cutter" side - so there's a fair bit of variety in what we do. Several of our team members have described working at SIX12 as “finally finding a home where they feel comfortable to be themselves.”
When you look us up, keep in mind that our website doesn't tell our whole story. Over the years, we've continually evolved to offer different marketing and technology solutions to our clients. Sometimes our most recent strategies aren’t publicized right away. For example, we have a SaaS product running across North America, we recently built a Facebook Messenger bot as part of a contest entry system, and we're working on a 1-to-1 text message marketing system – none of which is on our website yet.
Wondering if you’re qualified?
You should have most, if not all, of these basics:
- T-rex sized sense of humour, and a pygmy possum sized ego
- you could teach an Adobe Creative Suite master class
- your layers are labeled as actual things not “layer 547"
- you’re familiar with social media guidelines and oddities
- you can design on the fly within a WordPress template
- you can make pixels move, with or without keyframes (probably with)
- you intuitively understand good UI/UX design
- agency experience
- you’ve probably completed some kind of formal design training, or at least dropped out more than once
- you would kern your Mom if you had the chance, even if she were Comic Sans
- HTML & basic CSS
- impeccable grammar
- you’re humble, even though you’re good enough not to be
Additional skills that would give you an advantage:
- sweet sassy creative copyrighting skills
- you have video editing experience
- you have being-in-videos experience (or even if you don’t)
- you know a programming language
- you manage projects as a hobby
- you can draft ToS, privacy, contest legal
This is an intermediate to senior position with compensation that fits your experience. Most applicants should have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. That being said, if you’re really good, send us something to look at!
Flexible days/hours, however ideally a minimum of 2-3 regular days per week to start. Potential to grow to full-time or near-full-time. Also, looking for full-time coverage from Jul 2 – 11.
* SIX12 is an equal opportunity employer. If you’d much prefer a cup of Silver Tips Darjeering tea and haven’t wasted a day of your life craving coffee, we’ll happily give your application the same consideration as even the craviest of coffee cravers.